Saturday, September 25, 2010

Vs Liverpool, Old Trafford - 19 Sep 2010

I do not know about the historical rivalry between Manchester United and Liverpool, since I have picked up a real interest in the sport and EPL as recently as 2006. During those days, Liverpool will never look a threat to United and I have never realized the seriousness with which their respective fans used to look at this fixture.

It was sometime in 2009 when Liverpool came to Old Trafford and defeated us 4-1, I stood up and started looking at Liverpool with real hatred and hardcore vengeance. Such was the intensity of the defeat that whenever I think about Steven Gerrard running towards the camera and planting a kiss, I feel infuriated.


This season is no different, after a couple of heart-breaking late scoring draws (a win against lowly West Ham in between) I was keenly looking forward to this game and really wanted us to scored a few. We made a dominant start as expected, holding the majority of possession and creating few clear cut chances. When the first half was about to end, Berbatov nonchalantly nodded in our first goal - who was his marker? - Fernando Torres who did everything except marking Dimitar. In the half time review I was amused to hear Steve McMahon ask - "What on earth is Torres doing there? He could done the same thing sitting in the dressing room". And yes, he is one expert reviewer whom I hate for the way he hates United.

After Berbatov acrobatically knocked in the second, I thought it was Game Set and Match for United, let's look ahead. But such has been United's defensive frailties this season, I was proved wrong. Steven Gerrard stepped into twice in dead ball situations and equalized in dramatic circumstances. United, having dominated the match so far, wouldn't be one bit pleased with a point and therefore, SAF replaced Ryan Giggs with 'Kiko' Macheda and that proved to be the tonic we needed. At 85 minutes, Berbatov jumped tallest over Cara and scored his third of the match - the first hat-trick by an United player in this fixture in 64 years.


We held on to the lead and sealed a famous win and here is Berbatov being hailed as a hero. The Bulgarian was ridiculed from every corner for some indifferent form in the last season. But I have always been an admirer of Berba, trust me I had him in my Fantasy League team for a couple of weeks last season and I just brought him in the current one and gained 17 points.

By his own admission, Berbatov has not been able to express himself well over the last 2 seasons, largely due to the inflated prize tag that Manchester United attached to him. This season could be a turnaround and one to remember - He has started brilliantly, United needs him to continue...


No comments:

Post a Comment